Pastors Who Have Served the Lord at St. Lucas
St. Lucas has a rich history of faithful servant leaders.
Friedrich Hoffman (1863-1869)
The congregation was organized and met first at the home of Sebastian Marty. It was first known as the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The original church building was built and dedicated in 1865.
Jacob Siegrist (1870-1872)
In 1872 the congregation separated from the Lutheran Church and formed the Horseshoe Lake Church.
H. Blankenhahn (1873-1883)
1873 was the year that the present building was erected at a cost of $1,700. In the fall of 1881 it was dedicated to the praise and glory of God.
C. Meyer (1884-1886)
Gustav Bohnstengel (1886-1887)
H. J. Fleer (1887-1888)
H. Krumdick (1888-1890)
Henry Schroeder (1890-1903)
The present parsonage was constructed in 1899 at a total cost of $1,058.13. A rainwater cistern was added for $24.00. A school house was built with the lumber from the old parsonage. They purchased more land from the Herzfelds for a lawn for $26.00.
John Witzke (1903-1904)
Albert Riemann (1904-1907)
Otto Hille (1907-1910)
F. Kasten (1910-1912)
C. C. Joern (1912-1917)
In 1913, considerable remodeling was done to the church. A vestibule and baby room were added to the building. New pews were also purchased. The pulpit was in the center of the altar. It was moved to the right side of the room and lowered four feet. Carpeting was installed in the Chancel, and a new altar purchased.
Karl Zeyher (1917-1924)
He was St. Lucas’ first pastor to own a car.
John Fontana (1925-1930)
A new well was drilled and a new pump purchased in 1926 at a cost of $126.07. In 1927, the basement was dug out under the parsonage. Members all came to excavate the dirt by pails and buckets. A new furnace was purchased for $294.90.
John Koch (1931-1954)
This was during the depression, but new front steps were added to the church. In 1940, electricity was installed in the church parsonage. This was considered the greatest improvement yet. In 1951, walls and ceilings were redecorated in the church. A short time later, a tiled floor was installed by the Women’s Guild. Complete plumbing facilities were added to the parsonage in 1953.
George Hohman (1954-1960)
The dream of many was realized in 1956 when the church was raised and a full basement was constructed under the building, with an addition at a cost of over $13,000. Because the old school house had lost its usefulness it was then sold and with it went many fond memories.
Erwin Menger (1960-1967)
In 1960, the parsonage was again remodeled. Other improvements were also made, including the old garage being dismantled and replaced with a new modern double garage that still stands on the site.
Walter Wynkoop (1968-1973)
It was in the Summer of 1969 that the congregation of St. Lucas began a major remodeling project on their church. Bob Friedrich was the chairman for this project. There was a 16 foot addition built on the North end of the church and the sanctuary seating was changed. More seating was now available and the basement was completed and dedicated for Rev. John Koch who had served our congregation for 23 years. Even after his retirement he continued to serve the congregation as he was able. During this project, the Women’s Guild decided to completely remodel and redecorate the basement. New pews were purchased with a gift from the Margaret Rivers foundation in Stillwater. The altar was kept. It was now 90 years old. In 1971, an additional 2 acres of land was purchased from the Jordan farm. The cemetery association was formed and funds raised for permanent care for the cemetery.
Terry Tessari (1973-1981)
Walter Schlichting (1982-1997)
St. Lucas began an active involvement in both the Cursillo and Charis ministries. In 1990, the New Wings praise band was formed, adding a contemporary worship element to Sunday services that continues today. The current pictorial stained glass windows were added on the south end of the sanctuary.
Clarence Schultz (1998-2007)
In 1999, the Awana program started at St. Lucas and quickly grew into a successful children’s and youth ministry, serving families within the church body as well as acting as an important outreach ministry. In 2004, the church’s facilities were tripled in size with an addition that included a fellowship hall, kitchen, narthex reception area, elevator, six new classrooms, several new offices, and new restrooms. At the completion of the addition, the second phase of the project began. The sanctuary was turned 90 degrees with the altar placed in its third location at the west end of the church. Additional seating, a library, and an expanded music area were also part of this remodel. The final phase of construction transformed the old church basement into a contemporary jr./sr. high youth activity center, including a meeting/activity room, a full kitchen, and three new classrooms.